Extended high-altitude settlement in the Walser style
Surrounded by jewels of nature, Schröcken is a destination for nature fans in both the winter and summer. The guests comfortably reach the ski area with ski buses in only 5-10 minutes and/or the Warth-Schröcken hiking area with the hiking buses. The 7 Parzell mountains in Schröcken have a height between 1,200 and 1,500 metres and even extend to lake Körbersee at 1,660 metres.
The accommodations in Schröcken extend from hotels to comfortable bed and breakfasts and apartments to rustic chalets.
- 14th century: First settlements of Walser from the Swiss canton Wallis
- 1453: Establishment of today's traditional "Alpmuseums uf;m Tannberg"
- 1794: Renovation of the chapel in Unterboden, also the oldest chapel in Schröcken
- 1863: Severe fire in Schröcken, nearly all houses are consumed in flames
- Well into the 20th century, the area was marked by dairy and cattle farming as well as trade with Bavaria
- 1935: Construction of the Tannberg bridge (55 metres high)
- 1954: Economic boom in Schröcken due to the completion of Hochtannbergstraße
- After 1954: Clear increase in tourism
Highlights in Schröcken
Schröcken in the winter
Read the entire history of Schröcken here
The name Schröcken
Schröcken is located at an altitude of 1,080 – 2,649 metres above sea level and is part of the Bregenz district.
The settlement by Walsers took place in the Tannberg region of Schröcken in the 14th century and was also earlier called "Girsboden".
The Alpine village Schröcken does not, as the name may suggest, have anything horrible about it; instead, it is an amazing Alpine idyll in the winter as well as the summer. The name does come from the German for shock = jump (such as a grasshopper) and also means crack, tear and rugged terrain.
The settlement has borne the name Schröcken since the beginning of the 17th century (Schrecka).
Before that, it was known as "Girsboden" "Gir" = Geier [vulture].
House 5 in Unterboden is the oldest in the district today. The chapel there is also older than the parish church. As it was small and in need of repair, it was torn down in 1774 and rebuilt in its current location. Ecclesiastically, Schröcken traditionally belonged to the diocese of Augsburg like the other Tannberg communities. It was then assigned to the diocese of Brixen in 1814 and has been part of the now independent diocese of Feldkirch since 1968.
Catholic parish church, Assumption of Mary
The first church was built in Schröcken in the year 1639. Before this, the people of Schröcken travelled to Lech for holy mass. Winters were very dangerous; people were buried by avalanches and killed on the way to church, corpses often had to wait multiple days before they could be brought to Lech for burial - it is quite understandable that Schröcken wanted its own church. Schröcken received its first priest in 1640.
Schröcken suffered a terrible fire in 1863 and the church was also a victim. The reconstruction began the same year today's Kirche zu Ehren Maria Himmelfahrt [church of the assumption of mary] was consecrated a year later. The church, constructed in the Nazarene style, received a thorough renovation in the years 1979 and 1981 - to the delight of all visitors.
Construction of the Tannberg bridge:
Progress and technology tried to overcome deep ravines. The falsework for the Tannberg bridge was constructed in 1934. This was a true master-work which was conducted flawlessly by Wälder Baufirmen. Some 300m³ of framing wood and 7,000 kg of screws were used. This imposing construction was third largest arched bridge in Austria at the time with a span of 80 m (and 55 m high!) Its opening on 18 October 1935 was enthusiastically celebrated. Now progress could also reach Schröcken - and with it, a great deal of guests.
The streets from Schoppernau-Hopfreben to Schröken were completed from 1933-1935, opening up the village to automobiles.
The completion of the Hochtannberg road in 1953 was especially favourable for tourism.
Today's streets were started in 1985 via Schmitte with the large Kehrenbrücke bridge. The new street was festively opened in 1989.
This made the old, curvy, narrow route leading from Schröcken village to Nesslegg a thing of the past, and with it, all of the inherent dangers, especially in the winter months.
And to close things off, here is a little story to make you smile:
The first priest Sebastian Bickel was touchingly concerned with his flock. He kept parish records and a journal. He was also an Alpinist and calmly climbed the 2,536 metre high Widderstein in 1664. It is said he wanted to know for sure - people actually claimed that planks from the biblical Noah's arc were on the summit. Arriving at the top, he used a large mirror to reflect sunlight as a sign of his presence to the village below. Based on his new-found knowledge, he shared the following words in his sermon at the next church service: ..."Noah's arc? It's all nonsense, the people are dumber than the fantasy!"